Principal Scientist Proteomics
Departmental Job Title: Principal Scientist
Division/Department: LC/MS Bioanalytical Services
Reports to: Manager of Proteomics
Protea Biosciences is a leader in the development of new bioanalytical technologies and applications to rapidly and directly identify proteins, small molecules, metabolites, and lipids, and their molecular interactions in all types of biological samples. The services group has a unique collaborative approach, while providing a solution for the customers.
The ability for Protea to succeed depends on integrity, knowledge, working within teams, diversity, and flexibility with different applications and time at work. As a smaller company it is imperative that a culture of teamwork, mutual respect for others, continuous improvement and mentoring as well as flexibility in roles and responsibilities are fostered.
The Principal Scientist develops analytical workflows for protein characterization and proteome analysis. They also perform a supporting role in business development by aiding in the development of scientific collateral such as application notes, posters, seminars, etc.
The Principal Scientist will take a lead role in project management, ensuring that sample preparation, data collection and analysis is done appropriately and is completed for sponsored projects, within assigned timelines. The Principal Scientist will use software to perform data analysis and report generation. As a more senior member of the scientific staff, they will be involved in reviewing and approving analytical reports for clients. This individual will also take an active role in development of new software driven workflows for bioinformatics and biostatistics. This individual would also take an active role in maintaining and troubleshooting instrumentation.
- Take• Take on Principal Investigator role for projects (maintain project management for certain assigned projects).
- Perform and develops analytical workflows for protein characterization and proteome analysis.
- Take project ownership by being project leader and assuming responsibility for timelines and quality of data.
- Provide technical assistance to customers and collaborators for preparation and submission of samples.
- Share your knowledge by mentoring peers and less experienced scientists.
- Provide sales support through conference calls, onsite visits, proposal writing.
- Work with the Marketing Organization for the creation of application notes, posters and presentations for external conferences and webinars.
- This position will be require up to 10-15% travel as part of support for marketing and sales.
- Attend at least one conference per year to represent the company’s workflows.
- Be part of a culture that encourages respect, continuous improvement, and meeting deadlines
- Contribute to the enhancement of our Quality by Design Program, not only by providing input, but assisting in making changes to SOPs, laboratory, and assays in a team-oriented fashion.
- Other miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
- PhD degree in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, biology or related fields with 1-2 years of industry experience
- MS or BS degree in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, biology or related fields with at least five (5) years previous work experience
- Extensive expertise with methodology and sample preparation techniques for proteomics analyses is required.
- Extensive expertise with operation, maintenance, method development and troubleshooting of UHPLC and electrospray mass spectrometers.
- Technical skills with nano-LC and high resolution accurate mass spectrometers is required.
- Expertise in quantitative proteomics workflows such as relative or absolute quantitation of peptide is required.
- Expertise in bioinformatic and biostatistical analyses is highly desired
- Good organizational and analytical skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage multiple and varied tasks, and prioritize workload
- Experience with Microsoft based applications, and ability to learn internal computer systems
Mental and Physical Demands:
Ability to lift up to 30 lbs and stand for an extended period of time.
All employment offers will be contingent upon the successful completion of a background check [employment, education, and criminal] and pre-employment drug testing conducted in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
All employees, upon hire, are required to present original documentation to complete a USCIS Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification form). Protea participates in E-Verify to confirm work authorization.